Install and learn more at the Project’s Site
Created by Ryan & Alan Norbauer
Maintained by Readwise
When highlights and notes are created on any Kindle device, they are synced up to Amazon’s cloud. These are then visible at read.amazon.com, but there is no reason to believe that Amazon will continue to provide this service forever, and our ability to work with text in that hosted browser-based environment is limited. This is a bookmarklet that permits one to excise notes/highlights from read.amazon.com. It yields a single page of cleanly styled notes/highlights, which can then be copied to one’s clipboard and pasted into a local text repository (OneNote, Evernote, DevonThink, etc.). The highlights and notes can also be downloaded in a number of formats (e.g. JSON).
Forked from the original repo on bitbucket.
Setting up project for development
- git clone the project locally.
- Ensure you’re using Node 0.10.35 (we recommend using nvm to do this)
- cd into directory and
- grunt test - some unit tests which currently pass
- grunt build - writes everything to /dest dir. dest/bookcision.js should be a working bookmarklet!
- grunt lr - livereload development using a fake local environment, nothing on Amazon
- grunt clean
Installing a module
rm npm-shrinkwrap.json & npm i [MODULE] –save & npm shrinkwrap
Releasing a new version (for maintainers)
- Bump the version number of Bookcision in package.json
- Copy dest/bookcision.js to dist/bookcision.js (replacing the old version)
- That’s it! The new version will be at dist/bookcision.js and automatically updated via Github’s CDN as soon as the change is merged into master. The bookcision website (where you install the bookmarklet) simply points at bookcision.readwise.io/dist/bookcision.js, which points at the github source code.